A great day out today at nearby Bolsover Castle. The event was Clash of the Knights, a demonstration of medieval full contact combat. These guys are tough !
Bakewell Parish Church is the oldest in the Peak District.
There was a Saxon church in Bakewell in 920 and the churchyard is home to two 9th century Saxon crosses – a large somewhat damaged one in an enclosure on the north-east side of the church and a smaller, better preserved stump (which was found at a local farm and re-sited here) just to the east of the entrance. In and around the church porch there are many fine carved fragments of Saxon stonework found during restoration work in the 1840s and some ancient stone coffins.
The present church was started in late Norman style in the 12th century but only the West front and part of the North and South arcades of the nave survive from this period; the rest was built from 1220-40, with the spire added in 1340. A drastic renovation in the 1840s was almost a rebuilding – the spire, which was in danger of collapse, was completely rebuilt along with the central portion of the church.
A visit to Hardwick Hall which is one of our local houses on the other side of the valley.
One of the most splendid houses in England. Built by Bess of Hardwick in the 1590s, and unaltered since: yet its huge windows and high ceilings make it feel strikingly modern. Outside, stone gleams and glass glitters in the light. Its six towers make a dramatic skyline. Climbing up through the house, from one spectacular floor to the next, is a thrilling architectural experience. Rich tapestries, plaster friezes and alabaster fireplaces colour the rooms, culminating in the hauntingly atmospheric Long Gallery.
We are away in Cumbria and postings may be erratic and brief due to very limited internet connections.
We take David & Wendy to Pickering and a trip on the North Yorks Moors Railway.
We drive across the Pennines to Beamish Museum. The museum is a town ‘frozen’ in the year 1913.
We were fascinated by the farrier replacing the shoes on the heavy horses.
Horse Guards Parade is a large parade ground off Whitehall in central London.. It is the site of the annual ceremonies of Trooping the Colour, which commemorates the monarch’s official birthday, and Beating Retreat.
It was formerly the site of the Palace of Whitehall’s tiltyard, where tournaments were held in the time of Henry VIII. It was also the scene of annual celebrations of the birthday of Queen Elizabeth I.
The parade ground is open on the west side, where it faces Horse Guards Road and St. James’s Park. It is flanked on the north by the Old Admiralty and the Admiralty Citadel and here on the east by William Kent’s Horse Guards — formerly the headquarters of the British Army — and on the south by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the rear garden wall of 10 Downing Street, the official residence of the British Prime Minister.
Our village church is looking good in the early morning sun.
The church of St. James dates from Norman times (11th century) of which four round arches still remain. The church was much altered in the 13th century and again in the late 19th century. Within the church are memorials to Sir Richard Pipe, once Lord Mayor of London, who died in 1587 and to Margaret and Mary Pole, two maiden sisters who gave the village its almshouses and who died within two months of each other in 1755. There is also a very worn effigy of Lady Joan (Neville) Furnival, which was moved from Worksop Priory on its dissolution. She died in 1396. The registers date from 1648.